How To Remove a Stuck Cocktail Shaker Lid
A stuck cocktail shaker lid might be one of the most common issues bartenders and home mixologist experience. In this week’s blog, we decided to feature a topic that can benefit your cocktail-shaking experience. Let’s begin!
You like a refreshing cocktail on a weekend evening, so you take your cocktail shakers out and throw in spirits, bitters, and ice. You put on the lid and get shaking like a pro, maybe with a flair too. And just when you thought you could finally drink that well-shaken drink, your shaker lid gets stuck for some reason! What a bummer, isn’t it? We’ve all been there!
BUT WHY DO COCKTAIL SHAKER LIDS GET STUCK?
Here are some reasons that you should know when dealing with the situation:
- If you have many unorganized cocktail shakers, chances are you might be using a mismatched body and lid or cap.
- The cocktail mixture might be too thick that it gets stuck between the metal where the lid and the body meet.
- Incorrect sealing of the shaker results in difficulty in opening it. You might have tapped it too hard or forced the two parts to close.
- And, of course, the most obvious reason is the temperature. Ice is often used when shaking cocktails, and metal shakers conduct cold quickly, making the metal shrink and thus contract to create a tight seal while shaking.
HOW DO WE REMOVE A STUCK COCKTAIL SHAKER LID?
- Grab a clean hand towel, soak it in hot water, then wring it dry. Wrap it around the part where the lid and body of the shaker meet. Wait for 3-5 seconds, and try tapping around with a bit of force using the heel of your hand to loosen the seal.
- Freeze the cocktail shaker for approximately 10 minutes, then run the top part of the cocktail shaker in hot water. A temperature change can be beneficial when removing a stuck cocktail shaker lid.
- Another way would be to use a pairing knife or anything with a sharp and thin blade enough to fit in between the lid and body of the cocktail shaker. Carefully run the knife around the edge while trying to lift the lid to loosen, and continue until the top comes off.
- Lastly, you can use a wine bottle opener. Make sure to drain all liquid first, then using a corkscrew, insert it at the center hole of the build-in strainer until about halfway through. Hold the cocktail shaker’s body firmly with your hand if you have a firm grip or between your knees, and pull the corkscrew until the lid comes off.
- You can also use the hand towel technique with a Boston Shaker; the temperature change will do the trick to separate the body from the lid.
- The following method is to tap the shaker with a bit of force to break the vacuum seal. Remember not to put too much force as it might break the shaker if you use a glass shaker. Put the shaker on your countertop, hold the tin shaker with one hand, then, using the heel of your other hand, tap the top tin so it leans on the other side. This should do the trick to break off the tight seal.
If none of the above works, do not worry because we have three more tips for you!
- One way would be to soak the cocktail shaker in hot water up to the area where the body and lid meet and wait until the seal loosens and the lid should come off easily.
- Another tip is to fill the cocktail shaker with water at least halfway. Freeze the cocktail shaker overnight, then let it sit at room temperature until the ice inside slightly melts and loosens. Then, with brute force, shake the cocktail shaker upside down. The solid ice inside should help in breaking off that tight seal.
- Lastly, let the cocktail shaker sit at room temperature until the ice melts. The metal shaker will return to its normal state in due time, making removing the stuck cocktail shaker lid easier.
The process might mess up your delicious cocktail, but you can always make a new one once your shaker is back on track!
Situations like this can be very frustrating sometimes, and it is nearly tempting to be impatient when faced with a challenging situation. But do remember, it is not just simply troubleshooting a stuck cocktail shaker lid. For us, cocktail lovers and the like, the passion for creating delicious drinks drives us to handle the situation like a pro and adequately take care of our most-trusted bar tool.
Have you ever had to deal with a stuck cocktail shaker before?
Share your experience with us in the comment section.
POLICIES & WARRANTY
SMS Text Message:
+1 (845) 498-1395
(cannot accept phone calls)
Leave a comment: